Sunday, February 3, 2008

Cormac McCarthy

Well I had a Cormace McCarthy theme going for a week or so. I saw the film adaptation of "No Country for Old Men" and also read his latest book "The Road".

No Country for Old Men was a fantastic and disturbing movie. Javier Bardem is basically a lock to win the academey award for best supporting actor. I am not going to do a whole huge breakdown here but just a couple of things I took away from it:

The texture of the film is so realistic that it makes the horrible aspects that much more terrifying. I haven't read the book but I have seen a few Coen brothers movies and they seem to genuinely love the background language and culture of their subjects. In this case the culture is southwest texas and the characters walk and talk in an appropriately Texas country manner (or at least close enough for a Kansas boy).

The best thing I can say about this movie is that when it is over I didn't want to get up right away. I just sat there for a while savoring the experience.

* * * * *

The Road is an extremely dark book about a father and son travelling the road to the East coast after a terrible apocalypse. I couldn't put it down, though I do confess to having a weakness for apocalyptic themes.

I feel that in addition to the parent-child themes the book had a lot to say about the notion of community as opposed to the nuclear family.

No comments: