Thursday, January 10, 2008

Red LED Phototherapy


Some of the most fascinating advances in medicine in recent years have come in the form of new healing modalities that utilize energy to allow the body to heal itself. One of these that I am most interested in is Red LED phototherapy.

My interest in the particular subject was picqued when I first read about the NASA research done in this area (here and here). Basically the red LED light is unmixed with other frequencies. The cells of the body have light sensitive components which react strongly to light, particularly light in the red (660 nm) portion of the EM spectrum. Exposure to red light stimulates these cells and causes the cell to radically increase its energy production. In plants this results in faster growth and in humans one of the main effects is an increased rate of healing. The red light does not penetrate deeply into the body and so it is mainly useful in treating the upper layers of the skin. Infrared light penetrates more deeply into the body and may have similar effects.

Unfortunately the devices on the market are quite expensive, but after being inpired by this blog I decided to make my own red LED device and test it out. This is beyond theoretical for me, as I have a loved one who suffers from a chronic pain illness and I am hoping that a combination of red and infrared LEDs will prove beneficial and provide some relief.

It'll be my first go with a soldering iron so look out! I'll keep you posted on my progress.
* * * *
I think I first read about it on rense.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.